Home > Elliotts & Fitzgeralds | Help | Email | Names ]
and Anne married
Michael Elliott and Anne Fitzgerald were married on August 13, 1833, at St. Tighernach's (pronounced 'tier-nock'). St. Tighernach's sat on the highest point in Clones town, and the church dominated the hill-top central square. 

St. Tighernach's, 
Church of Ireland
View from the town square

Elliott family
Unfortunately, less detail than expected has been found for the children of Michael and Anne. No proof of birth, baptism or 'age and origin' references are extant. There appear to have been at least nine, of which Mary Eleanor Elliott (born circa 1844) is our ancestor. In a story told by today's Clones residents, Mrs. Elliott gave birth to 12 children (31). The others known by name are: 
  • Elizabeth Young Elliott (possibly Aunt Bessie and the eldest),
  • Isobella Elliott (Aunt Belle),
  • Martha Elliott,
  • Anne Elliott (Aunt Nan),
  • Edward James Elliott (b. c. 1848)
  • Charlotte Elliott,
  • John Elliott (b. after 1850?)
Only the first five in the above were recorded in Aunt Nancy's 1968 family history, with the last two only ever appearing as part-owners of Michael's estate in an 1870's land record.
No records of birth or baptism have been found, and the search through the Clones Parish records were quite thorough (30). Either another volume was used to record their baptisms, or that they were performed outside the parish. Aunt Nancy assumed the children were born in Dublin, but this appears to be a wild guess.
Elliotts at Drumard
At some point the Elliotts moved to Drumard House, about 2½ kilometres north of Clones town. Drumard was a townland or farm of 82 acres, 46 of which were leased by Michael. He had held the property since before his surveys in the 1830's, but it appears Drumard became his principle residence by 1861 at the very latest (Annaghilly was occupied by someone else then).
Click here for map of Drumard and environs
Click here for map of Clones Parish including Annaghilly, Drumard and Clonavilla.
Drumard (sometimes recorded as Dromard) relates to the Gaelic word for a high ridge. The house was probably built by William Cochran in the early 1800's, and the 1861 survey shows Cochran as the landowner. The rent then was £55 per annum. A large, formal house with two stories and two hearths, a central hall and staircase, it sits on a gentle slope between two stands of oak, overlooking two small lakes. In the field across the road were the ruins of the ancient St. Eachaidh's church of the 15th Century - now just a pile of stones.
Click here for a picture of Drumard House today
Mary Eleanor leaves Drumard Before Mary Eleanor married, she left Drumard and went to a place called Clonmore. Michael and the family stayed in Drumard for at least ten more years.
Story of Mary Eleanor Elliott...

Remaining Elliotts...